Issues and Positions
Although Hernando is a beautiful place to live, we have some problems we need to tackle before they become overwhelming.
- Traffic: On Commerce, traffic can be overwhelming, especially during school and in the afternoons. Our growth has accelerated traffic problems. What can we do about it now?
- Develop alternate routes so that many of us can stay off Commerce and publish those alternate routes.
- Traffic has been a problem for a long time. We will need to understand the priorities that the city has developed.
- Carefully evaluate traffic before new neighborhoods are developed.
- Stormwater drainage in specific neighborhoods:
- Research the city ordinances about holding developers responsible for stormwater runoff.
- Animal Shelter
- What are the issues holding back the building of the animal shelter? I will research the specific problems causing a delay in building the animal shelter. Transparency is important.
Parks and Recreation
- Hernando has several beautiful recreation and park sites. We have a skate park, soccer complex, Conger Park with very nice playgrounds, Lee's Summit Park with walking trails, a pond, and a playground. We have the beginning of a linear park on McIngvale with wide sidewalks for the community to use. We have a walking track by the old Hernando High School that is a fun outdoor space to meet friends to walk.
- Friends and neighbors have expressed a desire for upgraded parks for our children to play baseball/football.
- Grants may be available to help develop or upgrade some of our parks.
Growth-commercial and residential
- Balanced growth is essential. I will evaluate our ward and our city's needs compared to the need for increased growth and tax base. We will need to be sure that new developments are in the appropriate areas.
- I will strongly support our local small businesses.